So from (roughly) 9pm on Friday 19th January there was a flurry of internet activity to post and debate whether cover versions could be better than the original – as well as raise money for the Lullaby Trust.
This is my list of #bettercovers that I was going to try to post – I didn’t get round to some of them and other people came up with some of them too…
Any glaring errors? Anything you wildly disagree with?
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow – Eva Cassidy https://youtu.be/2rd8VktT8xY (original by Eva Cassidy) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Torn – Natalie Imbruglia https://youtu.be/VV1XWJN3nJo (original by Ednaswap) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Hallelujah – Jeff Buckley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIF4_Sm-rgQ (original by Leonard Cohen) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix https://youtu.be/TLV4_xaYynY (original by Bob Dylan) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- One – Johnny Cash https://youtu.be/CGrR-7_OBpA (original by U2) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Rent – Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine https://youtu.be/1omqMqpyj4Y (original by Pet Shop Boys) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Man of Constant Sorry – Blackberry Smoke https://youtu.be/SFhFiLmzIpk?t=1m20s (original from O Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- The Drugs Don’t Work – Ben Harper https://youtu.be/k3YjRaUb4WI (original by the Verve) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Rocket Man – Iron Horse https://youtu.be/forqmom3YuY (original by Elton John) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Dream On – Boyce Avenue https://youtu.be/wvCq6-zWw7M (original by Aerosmith) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Give in to me – Three Days Grace https://youtu.be/02VRCVh05NU (original by Michael Jackson) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- In The Air Tonight – Nonpoint https://youtu.be/OoGg9bIyDPY (original by Phil Collins) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Easy Like Sunday Morning – Faith No More https://youtu.be/vPzDTfIb0DU (original by the Commodores) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Lake of Fire – Nirvana https://youtu.be/zgvUaOuEdwA (original by the Meat Puppets) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Careless Whisper – Seether https://youtu.be/g0_dyc4IrLg (original by George Michael) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Smooth Criminal – Alien Ant Farm https://youtu.be/CDl9ZMfj6aE (original by Michael Jackson) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- I’m too Sexy – Leo Moracchioli https://youtu.be/7L0Wri7r7CE (original by Right Said Fred) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- With a Little Help from my Friends – Joe Cocker https://youtu.be/POaaw_x7gvQ (original by the Beatles) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- The Man Who Sold the World – Nirvana https://youtu.be/fregObNcHC8 (original by David Bowie) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Hurt – Johnny Cash https://youtu.be/vt1Pwfnh5pc (original by Nine Inch Nails) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Nothing Compares 2U – Sinead O’Connor https://youtu.be/0-EF60neguk (original by the Family) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Respect – Aretha Franklin https://youtu.be/6FOUqQt3Kg0 (original by Otis Redding) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Twist and Shout – The Beatles https://youtu.be/YgVWot_xrxE (original by the Top Notes) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston https://youtu.be/3JWTaaS7LdU (original by Dolly Parton) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Learn to Fly – Rockin’1000 https://youtu.be/JozAmXo2bDE (original by Foo Fighters) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Don’t Look Back in Anger – Chris Martin https://youtu.be/RYF4Gsrxur4 (original by Oasis) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Hound dog – Elvis Presley https://youtu.be/lzQ8GDBA8Is (original by Big Mama Thornton) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Free Fallin – John Mayer https://youtu.be/20Ov0cDPZy8 (original by Tom Petty) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Jolene – White Stripes https://youtu.be/yXlULkwhgrc (original by Dolly Parton) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Kiss From a Rose – Jack Black https://youtu.be/xj5VI9KEpbM?t=1m25s (original by Seal) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Killing me Softly – Fugees https://youtu.be/oKOtzIo-uYw (original by Roberta Flack) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- I Fought the Law – The Clash https://youtu.be/AL8chWFuM-s (original by The Crickets) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Womanizer – All American Rejects https://youtu.be/vXsdvsZHQf8 (original Britney Spears) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Hit Me Baby One More Time – Travis https://youtu.be/sqJ1bgY2Ww8?t=38s (original Britney Spears) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Without You – Harry Nilsson https://youtu.be/8dnUv3DUP4E (original by Badfinger, then subsequently wrecked by Mariah Carey) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Knocking on Heaven’s Door – Guns n Roses https://youtu.be/dmNlUnsWZOQ (original by Bob Dylan) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- November Rain – Steve n Seagulls https://youtu.be/fvrogxMHmlg (original by Guns n Roses)
- Alone – Heart https://youtu.be/1Cw1ng75KP0 (original by i-Ten) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Only Love Can Break Your Heart – St Etienne https://youtu.be/vZAajrxvDs4 (original by Neil Young) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Tainted Love – Soft Cell https://youtu.be/XZVpR3Pk-r8 (original by Gloria Jones) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Every Time You Go Away – Paul Young https://youtu.be/nfk6sCzRTbM (original by Hall and Oates) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- The Loco-motion – Kylie Minogue https://youtu.be/POWsFzSFLCE (original by Little Eva) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Where Did You Sleep Last Night – Nirvana https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBrDjSFT_E (original by Lead Belly) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
- Mad World – Gary Jules https://youtu.be/AhT_wusAyoc (original by Tears for Fears) #Twitterdisco #Bettercovers
I have stumbled across a positive corner of Twitter where a group of health professionals and their followers have a virtual #Twitterdisco along a predefined theme by posting links to music videos (and videos of themselves). I’ve managed to accidentally get myself invited on as a “Guest DJ” which is ironic as I have bought next to no new music for the last 15 years and I’m not known for being the most positive social media user…
So for those curious enough to know, this is my dusty old website which I rarely use these days. Probably because I have been busy as a GP, dad, father, husband etc… But also because I have been doing some management work (CCG project and a superpartnership; yawn – now finished) and for the last few years I have been luck enough to get things I have written put on other people’s websites (see here)
When I am not faffing about on Twitter, seeing patients, helping run a GP practice, and trying to not to get too much in the way of the raising of three children I amuse myself by going climbing (reminiscing days when I was lighter and stronger), playing guitar, painting and watching films. I have occasionally been known to record songs too. The latest song was a collaboration with all the staff at the surgery where I am a partner as a surprise leaving present for a retiring partner.
So on Friday 19th January I will be “on the decks” with a special theme: #bettercovers – cover versions of songs that are better than the originals. I’ll need lots of people to join, have fun and help raise some money for the Lullaby Trust. One of things that this charity does is help families affected by Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (and the lesser-known Sudden Unexplained Death in Children) – a charity that friends of ours found a real support when their 18 month old died overnight.
A powerful message about our own personal stories
This blog was first published on the NHS Vale Royal CCG website in September 2015.
A scene familiar to doctors and nurses. An urgent call in the middle of the night followed by a rapid fumbling with clothes and shoes as you shake the too little sleep out of your head. The run through the quiet and empty corridors of the hospital before bursting onto the ward, your destination immediately made obvious by the busyness and urgency around one patient. As you approach you see resuscitation already underway, someone doing chest compressions and someone else ventilating.
Many of you reading this will relate to the scene. Two things make this memory different for me. Firstly, the patient is not an elderly person potentially coming to the end of a life well-lived,but is only 17 months old. Secondly, the patient is my son.
Over 11 years ago, this scene brought to…
View original post 595 more words
Please feel free to copy and paste this in an email to your own MP, sign a petition, do anything. You can find your MP by using this link
Dear Prime Minister,
I was dismayed at your inability to directy condemn the US president’s vindication of the use of torture and also your frankly lacklustre and tardy repsonse to his latest exectuive order about immigration controls into his country. Whilst I cannot know what goes on behind closed doors between you I believe you have a duty to outwardly show your own country that you serve, that you do not condone such actions at all, and not just when they affect British citizens (it is already, by the way).
I would politely ask you to cancel the State visit of President Trump until such moment as his Executive Order over immigration is revoked. If you are not able to do this immediately then I expect nothing more than a full and frank explanation as to why not. Please feel free to write to me directly, or make a public announcement.
I look forward to hearing from you
Great blog by Greg Fell about inequality and how it affects general practice
So we are all doing responses to the GP 5 Year Forward view
Who knows whether there’s any REAL investment fund. Meanwhile the world keeps revolving.
General Practice, you know the bit that everyone says is the jewel in the NHS crown, gets ever more fragile.
The point re General Practice in the most disadvantaged parts of our communities, you know the bit of the narrative everyone manages to forget, isn’t going away anytime soon.
The amazing Deep End group keep shining a light on it.
Here are some thoughts as we finalise where we are re the GP5yFV.
Regular readers will recognise rehashed material (sorry, but got to say the same thing again and again)
The slice of the NHS £ going to primary care and in particular General Practice
GP funding seems like it’s going down not up
General practice funding has fallen to 8% of…
View original post 668 more words
A slimy man is at a very large desk. He is speaking into a phone.
“Don’t worry Richard, sorry, yes, Sir Richard. Don’t worry Sir Richard. Look we have talked about how we were going to have to break it a little bit before…sorry…yes, I know, well look it is just a little bit. No, no, no it’s not a basket case like the East Coast mainline.”
There is a buzzing sound from a red telephone on his desk, “Look, hang on a minute, I have an important call on the other line.”
He mutes the mobile phone, puts it down on the desk and lifts the old-fashioned red telephone to his ear, “Hello, Rupert,” he listens for a minute or two, “Well that is very kind of you to offer. This week, let’s do nurses, followed by consultants the week after, with a dash of immigrants. If the comments sections seem a bit tame then why not go after the hospital executives and managers, you know publish a few salaries, significant events, patients complaints – you know the sort of thing?”
He listens for a few moments, “Yes quite, I completely agree, ungrateful sods. Speak to you soon,” he replaces the handset and picks up the mobile phone again.
“Sorry Richard, Sir Richard, where were we?” he checks his fingernails and holds the phone away from his ear to protect his eardrum from the shouting, “Look, Rich… SIr Richard, I promise you I will not completely break it. It just needs to be a little bit broken, you know, for us to be able to seal the deal, splash the cash, bring home the bacon… No, no I haven’t been smoking.”
He sits forward in his chair, “Listen, when have we ever let you down? Tell me, eh? Leave this to me and I’ll make sure it will all work out fine for us. Even if they suspect, there won’t be anything they can do about it. Everyone will be panicking about bloody Brexit for a start… Yes, I know… Can’t believe we have been so lucky to have such a massive distraction from our plan land straight into our laps. They always vote with their wallets as you know.”
A woman walks into the office. He cups his hand over the mobile phone and mouths, “Who are you?!”
“Your new specialist advisor, sir.”
“But I’ve already got three, what does her up the road think she’s playing at? No Sir Richard, not you!”
He glances angrily at the woman, “Look, I have got to go. Need to figure out how to make sure Number 11 keep their coffers shut. Speak to you soon.”
He turns to face the woman as the mobile phone is silenced, “And what, pray tell, are you going to advise me about?”